Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6N137 Optocoupler Pin Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

btvarner

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am not an engineer. I have researched basic information that can be found on optocouplers. I understand the theory of 4 pin optocouplers. I believe I even understand basics of 6 pin optocouplers. However, everything I have located about 6N137 or 8 pin optocouplers in general, assumes I understand more than I do. I have located two types of information on 8 pin optocouplers. Basic info: which does not seem to include the 8 pin configuration, or Advanced info: which assumes I have knowledge I do not possess.

I have the Vishay 6N137 datasheet. Assume this 6N137 to be used instead of a 4 pin optocoupler or a relay in a simple circuit where closure times must be short. Small amperage DC input to trigger larger DC amperage output circuit. My questions are extremely basic.

Q1) Pins #1 & #4, may be used for what purpose?
Q2) Pin #5, I understand is Ground, but is it ground back to the negative side of the Vcc Collector DC supply?
Q3) Pin #6, Vo=Voltage Output. Is this output connected to the negative side of the circuit you are closing?
Q4) Pin #7 Ve=Voltage Emitter. Or is this the output connected to the negative side of the circuit you are closing? If not, what is it for?
Q5) Pin #8 Vcc Collector Supply. I assume the positive side of the circuit to be closed when the optocoupler is activated is connected here?

A direct answer to my questions would be wonderful. Direction to literature that describes specifically what I am asking would be helpful also.

I could understand 8 pin optocoupler layout better if someone had a diagram of the inside a 6N137 optocoupler showing internal routing of all 8 of the pins. The datasheet does not seem to account for every pin.

Hi,

Honestly I don't like the classification of optocoupler according pin count.

For me it sounds like classifying vehicles according wheel count.
But a bicycle, a motor bike and a segway are totally different vehicles.
I recommend to use the same phrases that you find in the datasheet, especially in the headlines.

The same is with pin numbers. The number doesn't mean anything...but "anode" tells a lot.

Now to your questions:
At first: The 6N137 is no usual optocoupler. It is a more complicated one, because it has internal amplifiers and a logic IC compatible output. It is optimized for transmitting high speed data.
Q1: pin#1 and pin#4 are "nc" ...this means "not connected" they don't have any internal electrical connection. No electrical function.
Leave them unconnected.
Q2: pin#5 = GND. It has two functions: power supply and shielding.
Q3: pin#6 = output. It is the logic level output signal. It is high speed, it has digital logic levels, it can't drive heavy loads.
Q4: pin#7 is a special function connection. It enables the output signal. The output is called "active" when the output level is LOW. HIGH means inactive.
You need two conditions at the same time for the output to become active: Enough LED current and "enable" needs to have HIGH signal.
Q5: is the positive power supply pin for the output side amplifier.

Klaus

I understand. Thanks for the feedback. This leads to another question however.

I see that pin 8 (Vcc) and pin 5 (Gnd) must be connected + pin 7 (Ve) must be high or disconnected, in order for pin 6 (Vo) to have output. So would there be a constant drain to Vcc across the 6N137? Even when not in use.

Hi,

VCC means the supply node with it's supply pin. The V means voltage.
I is for current ....therefore if you look for the current at the VCC pin, then
--> do a search for ICC

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.