Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to interface AC to ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickyMeal

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ac adc

Hi all...

I have a 0 to 5V ADC which work well with my PIC microcontroller.
My problem is i need to measure a non sinusoidal AC voltage using the ADC.
Anyone can help me?

One more question... where should i place the ground reference for the AC? TQ!

adc for ac signal pic

The simplest way is to use a two-resistor voltage divider, reduce the AC voltage to 0-5V and impose 2.5V dc offset, so if the input AC voltage is 0V the ADC input "sees" 2.5V ..

Regards,
IanP

ac to dc interface

don't forget to use sample and hold ckt.

frequency of your signal is also important is should be atleat half of the sampling frequency.
"Nyquist "

rms adc pic

let me rephrase my question a bit...

my input signal look like an square wave AC with a spike at the falling edge of each pulse..
the voltage (including the spike which i need to measure) is around +/-12V...

i'd have a 0 - 5V ADC with PIC...
how do i produce a rms voltage of the signal?

Thanks a lot!!

measure ac voltage with adc

Not only do you have to use a resistive divider as stated above to reduce the peak to peak levels below the 5 V range of your converter, but you have to add a DC offset to the signal. This can be done by connecting the midpoint of the divider to the 5 V through another resistor. It is a simple matter of algebra to get two of the resistor values once you select the value of the third one.

interface ac signals to a microcontroller

i think spike have very high rise and fall time and they are of very short duration i am doubtfull that adc will able to have atleast two samples of spike u must use flash adc

and ofcourse all above accessories to limit level that adc can handle

adc for ac

Is there anyway i can convert the ac to dc so that i can forget about the sampling frequency?

what if i use diode and capacitor to rectify the AC.. is that possible?

ac to adc

a simple way is to design a new adc forhigher resolution or if u want to mesure ac put it down to 5v ac using 6M resistance in circuit then u can connect it directlt to PIC inputs & pic will sample it for u

or connect the 5v ac to mic input of PC & using visual analyser8 s/w or matlab u can messure the signal & process it

ac voltage measurement with adc

where do i place this 6M resistor?

precision high rms adc

first convert the AC to DC using an RMS to DC converter or using a conventional full wave rectifire. The using ur adc measure this value. Use a step down stage if required.

measuring ac signal with adc

Thanx Guys.. I need some clarification though..
The AC that i'm going to measure is used for something else...
If i connect this to full wave rectifier and ADC, will this affect its operation?

adc ac signal

To interface an AC signal to an ADc u need to first convert the same to DC level using a true rms to Dc converter IC or, a precision rectifier circuit.

For example if ur ac signal is 2 volt pk-pk

then its rms value in case of sine will be=.707V

An rms to Dc converter will output .707v DC signal which will be read by ADC.

RMS to DC converter IC=AD636,ad536,ad736 etc.

hope this might help u
saurav

adc output for ac signal

hi

for better results for AC signal measurment use AD736 ture RMS to DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.