Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

64-bit instead of 32-bit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aminRoy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
instead of 32. should i just download n install the 64?

i do thought that most probably there's no problem with the 64 ?

i know this is a stupid question, but there was such a problem with MS-DOS console's editor in 64-bit win env. there is no editor.

OR do 64 buggy in any way ?

just wanna skip to 64 and save some time if anyone can giv some answer.

64 bit distros may be slightly faster but to be honest I can't see much difference. The major improvement is in memory where the ~4Gb limitation is removed but even that has largely been overcome on 32 bit versions by use of PAE and other extension technologies. Some driver software and programs will be different versions but should be identical in performance. It's really up to you, personally I haven't come across any incompatibility issues and certainly, the console works exactly the same in both versions.

Brian.

"i know this is a stupid question, but there was such a problem with MS-DOS console's editor in 64-bit win env. there is no editor."
What do you mean by that, my friend?

Just for clatification - this is the "Linux software" part of the forum, the question relates to MS-DOS Console. Are we talking about an emulated Windows session, XTERM (or equivalent) or a real Windows OS installation?

If it's Linux, I am not aware of any problems with comsole applications at all.

Brian.

there was such a problem with MS-DOS console's editor in 64-bit win env. there is no editor.

You have mentioned that your problem is excatly with the MSDOS. If so, why can't you try using "Powershell" in windows.

The main difference between 32 and 64 bit version is...? Well, HW speaking you first need to have a 64-bit capable CPU. SW speaking, aside the 4GB limit which does not persist in 64-bit systems, you must have proper 64-bit software. I forgot where I read it but in a Linux distro download page (probably Ubuntu) they explained that both 32 and 64 were performing well, 64 bit slightly faster; but most of the existing 64-bit software is just a recompilation of the 32-bit version which will not bring any "plus" to the 64 bit version. This was a few years ago and I'm not sure how we're performing today. Don't misunderstand me, not all the 64-bit software out there is 32 bit recompiled crap, there are softwares which really use the power of 64 bit. And it's also true that technology today is moving on and it's starting to replace 32-bit software with 64-bit only.

Personally, I'd choose 64 bit for many reasons hard to explain in a few words... and because I can also run 32-bit software on it so why should I bother anymore? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back