Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

60hz frequency or 50hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerise

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi does anyone have an idea why some countries chose 60hz as their standard operating frequency? does it have advantages? please help.. i need it for our research. it will also be of great help if you can give some examples and comparisons to 50hz frequency..thank you very much!

yes, I've read it before. but still ,thank you for answering.

---------- Post added at 03:50 ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 ----------

i have to defend that 60Hz is better.. can you give me some tips on how can i defend it?

Last edited:

Most of the contries use 60Hz the mains supply is usualy 120v and for 50Hz it is 220v,i think 60Hz is used to reduce power consumption from power station also it's more safe to operate in a low voltage.

Reactions: Cerise

Cerise

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Is it true that 60hz frequency is used for power consumption or there is any other reason behind it.

Although there have been technical reasons behind the decision for 50 or 60 Hz, it's mainly a historical discussion. For obvious reasons, noone intends to change the national standards now. You'll find pros and cons for both standards. Depending on your industry and field of application, one or the other matters more. In addition, you have 16 Hz in railway traction or 400 Hz for aviation board supply.

Cerise

First of all, transformers and AC motors can be smaller by 1/6. For the same reason, 400 Hz is used in aviation.

Cerise

Status
Not open for further replies.