Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6 X 32V LEDs in Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilfrmheaven

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am planning to build a light with 10 Watt LEDs. These LEDs work on 32 V.

What do you think of connecting 6 or 7 of them in series and power it with 220 V Ac?

Regards,
Devil

Hi All,

I am planning to build a light with 10 Watt LEDs. These LEDs work on 32 V.

What do you think of connecting 6 or 7 of them in series and power it with 220 V Ac?

Regards,
Devil
32X7=224
Use 4 of those leds.

Hi,

how do you want to limit the current?

* resistor (high power loss, flickering with 100 Hz, low effort)
* current limiter circuit (medium power loss, flickering with 100Hz, medium effort)
* switched mode (low power loss, no flickering, high effort)...

Klaus

32X7=224
Use 4 of those leds.

Let me try it out... will keep you posted... :)

The LED according to the datasheet requires 600ma per piece... i thought of putting 6 LEDs in series and 2 100E resistor 20W in parallel

Last edited by a moderator:

Let me try it out... will keep you posted... :)

The LED according to the datasheet requires 600ma per piece... i thought of putting 6 LEDs in series and 2 100E resistor 20W in parallel

woops.
i meant 7. not 4.

A simulation shows you can string together 8 led's (at 32V each). The dropping resistor can be 50 or 60 ohms.

Since they light for a brief part of the cycle, and since they are rated at 600 mA, I arbitrarily adjusted peak current to twice that amount. I cannot say whether your led's are able to tolerate these peaks.

Notice the resistor must endure 84W peak. It drops 71V peak.

9211574600_1402265030.png

You may consider using capacitive drop to reduce current. However 600mA is a high amount for this method, and many would advise against it. You could arrange two led strings in opposing directions.

Hi,

many LEDs are powered this way.
Personally i don´t like this because of the 50Hz flickering.
If you don´t move you don´t recognize the flicker, but if you or your eyes move you recognize it.
Maybe i´m a bit allergic to this flicker, because it is very inconvenient for mo to drive behind a car with that low frequency flickering LED rear lights.

The arrange in opposite direction improves the frequency to 100Hz.

If i remembering right in former times it was no good idea to install a flickering neon lamp on a lathe because of the strobe effect the workpiece seemd to be moving "undangerous" slowly....

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back