Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v 2A current limiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jms1989

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I'm looking to make a little usb power supply for my truck, I want to supply 4 usb plugs and my gps from a 5v 10A DC to DC step down. I would like to restrict each plug/device to 2A each with maybe some short circuit protection. How would I go about this and keep it as simple as possible. I don't have the greatest grasp on building electronics. Otherwise, I may have to find some 2A converters that are already current limited and just supply each one separately. The gps's car adaptor is rated at 1.7A I believe or close to it. If it can be built with little to no heat generation and cheaply, that'd be ideal.

I'm not following the standard and neither do all tablets and smart phones these days. tablets will not charge, if any, on 500ma. they need at least 1.5A. this is a standalone power supply that'll be running off my truck's 12V system thru a DC to DC step down of course. I'm only asking this so I can guarantee 2A per device and if needed, I'll make some splitters to divide that 2A for 2 1A or 4 500ma. I'll use the standard plugs but be providing a lot more current.

Hello, I'm looking to make a little usb power supply for my truck, I want to supply 4 usb plugs and my gps from a 5v 10A DC to DC step down. I would like to restrict each plug/device to 2A each with maybe some short circuit protection. How would I go about this and keep it as simple as possible. I don't have the greatest grasp on building electronics. Otherwise, I may have to find some 2A converters that are already current limited and just supply each one separately. The gps's car adaptor is rated at 1.7A I believe or close to it. If it can be built with little to no heat generation and cheaply, that'd be ideal.
Hi JMS 1989 !
If you're not experienced in electronics you can easily use fuses through your power lines to protect your supply from over current . but if you're experienced you can use a simple hiccup limiter ( based on a mosfet and a simple opamp )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

the problem with fuses is they tend to be one time devices, there's no reset if they blow. they'd have to be replaced. my goal is to replicate what a computer does by limiting each port to 500ma, I'm wanting to quadruple that to 2A. it doesn't have to be safisicated, just smart enough to cap out the current at a set value. What is a hiccup limiter and how does it work?

A variety of companies make integrated IC's at various amperages many are designed for USB in particular.

For example:
TI: TPS2064 Dual 2.1A USB Current Limit
Maxim: 250mA to 2.5A adjustable current limit switch
Micrel: **broken link removed** 2A Current Limit Switch

You get the idea. There are a lot more from pretty much every company (Linear, NXP, Infineon, etc.)

he problem with fuses is they tend to be one time devices, there's no reset if they blow. they'd have to be replaced. my goal is to replicate what a computer does by limiting each port to 500ma, I'm wanting to quadruple that to 2A. it doesn't have to be safisicated, just smart enough to cap out the current at a set value. What is a hiccup limiter and how does it work?
Hi again
There are many types of reset able fuses available . but of course a hiccup current limiter will be so fine too .
Here a simple hiccup current limiter comes :

I've designed it for 2 amperes .

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

hi goldsmith,

how can someone ensure that the circuit should not take more than the regulated current. take for instance if its drawing more than the limited current how can one make a circuit dat will regualte it and keep the current within limit without interrupting the circuit (that is stoping the circuit)

i hope i am clear enuf. can it self regulate the current if its going higher than the limit?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.