Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer for large signal delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

vimalkhanna

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to delay the switch ON of my converters by a 60secs /90sec/120sec after recpt of a shutdown data thru a 5VDC /100uA input .
The time delay enables hiccup mode of the converters so that the holding charges in the ckt capacitance are neutralized .
I want a very small /economical design.
Designers kindly help...

The formula is:
T = 1.1 * Ra * C
C could be 470uF or 220uF in your case.

I already used 555 for such long time to control my 3 refrigerators so that they start one after another when mains voltage returns after cut-off.

Kerim

PS: The leakeage current of C will affect the time, by making it longer. But if it is relatively high then time will be infinite ;-)

Last edited:

There's 555s, and there's 555s. Some versions are proud of
low current and ability to do long delays. Some, not so much.

Reactions: IanP

IanP

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think you mean:
bipolar 555 (old standard)
CMOS 555 newer one, low current

I wouldn't use 555, instead consider (also 8-pin-DIP) PICAXE-08.
Delay can be set by programming this IC (command WAIT 60 => 60s delay), there is no problem in triggering it on power-on, and input can read transitions from 0-to-1 and from 1-to-0 ..
Cost - $1.
And the most important thing is that there is no dependence on any external components such as capacitors ..

:wink:
IanP

https://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.