Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

500 A DC current sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec82

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dc current sensor

dear friends
i need some paper or design idea , schematic for sensing 500 ampere dc current.
i'm going to use hall effect sensor to measure this dc current.
best regards

diy current sensor

Yes it's basically possible. They are different design principle available, with different accuracy (ordered from low to high precision):
1. open magnetic circuit hall sensor (like Allegro ACS754)
2. closed magnetic circuit hall sensor without compensation/magnetic feedback(e.g. LEM HTFS)
3. compensating DC current sensor(LEM, Honeywell, diverse).

Variant 2 and 3 require a magnetic core, variant 3 also a feedback winding and amplifier

dc current sensor circuit

dear fvm
thanks for your post . i used ugn3503 and amplifier and pic mcu .but i got some problem such as offset. can u guide me to overcome this problem?
thanks in advance

hall effect sensor 500 amps

Unfortunately, I'm not currently involved in DC current sensor design, I'm rather looking at their properties from a user perspective. But it's no easy business, I think. Also you're stuck to the available magnetic sensor elements. I don't know exactly, if Allegro 3503, a discontinued device, as far as I know, is present state of the art.

ugn3503 current sensor schematic

hi
I have read about principel of one type of HAL CT . it inject a current to ct to sense zero voltage in hal sensor.
In this case I1=NxI2

current sensor diy

dear smxx
this circuit working for ac current but for measuring dc current have problem and got offset after a few second . as u known ct used for ac current.
regards

acs754 allegro schematic

Dear alec82
No it working in both AC and DC.
I have one of them for 4000A in an Aluminium Factory

ugn3503 for ac current

The sensor is following the said "compensating DC current sensor" operation principle. All high precision current transducers are exclusvely using this method. But as I also said, it's no easy business. There are many possible design problems that can cause unwanted behaviour. The first point is a suitable design of the magnetic circuit.

The industrial sensors, I know (e.g. from LEM or Danfysik) have a high µr core, a good symmetry compensation winding and very thin hall sensors. Offset and drift are in a ppm oder of magnitude.

measure ac current using ugn3503

dear friends
anybody know about compensating DC current sensor and their circuit?
thanks in advance

dc current sensor schematics]

Are you referring to a Hall Effect sensor?

design of dc current sensor

Canadian_Jim said:
Are you referring to a Hall Effect sensor?
yes . is there another sensor type for this purpose ?

high dc current sensor circuit

I don't understand, what your particularly asking for. The principal circuit given by smxx is obviously correct. You may want to add a PID controller or some other more sophisticated feedback amplifier, but that doesn't change the principle. It's also described in the same way by manufacturers

If you are looking for a DC current sensor DIY design, that's a bit more complicated. A lot depends on available hall effect sensors and magnetic cores, as said before.

how did you do it??..m goin to work on it the 1st time..i want to measure a load current(DC) of 500A using micro-controller..m gona use CS3505..and a torroidal core...thats it...thats all i know..i dont know anything about how much flux is induced in wat core and its relation to the voltage generated on Vout of 3505..somebody please guide me..

You post sounds like: "I have a motor and four wheels, how can I build a car." There are various details involved with making a DC current sensor, e.g. what are the core data, what's the air gap shape, do you have a compensation amplifier circuit, what's your specification for the sensor?

ok...this is the 1st time i'm goin to do current sensing..so i dont have much idea on wat i'v gotta do...all i want is tht a 0-500A current be accurately sensed by the hall IC and generate a proportionate o/p voltage which i'l be giving to an ADC (with or without amplification??) ...and then to a microcontroller 89c52 which will then display the current value on LCD...atleast tell me where i'm gona get enough information so that i design this perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.