Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

50/60Hz current transformers operation at higher frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaineSasman

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
transformers operation one

http://www.nuvotem.com/en/products/ct.shtml

If you have a look at this page the current transformers are rated at 50/60Hz. The application for which I need to use one for is at about 115Hz. I can easily acquire a locally stocked 50/60Hz transformer at low cost but how will it operate at my required frequiency. Other specialized transformers are available but at much higher cost and only internationally stocked.

Any ideas?

60hz current transformer

U need to check only if higher frequency will keep the range in linear region or not.Chk the flux created at thoes frequency.

transformers 60hz

Ok,

Ive enquired to the company to see if they have the necessary data as the datasheets are not very comprehensive and odnt mention anything about higher frequencies.. so just waiting to hear back.

Will post what they say.

run 60 hz transformer at higher frequency -patent

In general, the heat generated will be higher and the parasitic capacitances will cause you problems with voltage ratio, input impedance, and output regulation.

The cure for the first problem is to run it at lower power levels to keep the temperature within the rated maximum.

50 and 60hz operation

The thing is my line voltage is 12V with about 30A, whereas the componants are rated up to 100A, 2500VAC, surely this leaves enuff "play" to cover the increased frequency for the power issue?

have a look at the data sheet for the ASM series on the link above.

operarion of current transformer

I won't expect considerably higher losses at 115 Hz. If you are operating the CT with a resistive load as specified for 50 Hz, the core losses are even lower due to a reduced flux.

using 60 hz transformer on higher frequency

great news then! Im gona give 1 a try and will post results! thanx for the advise

transformers opration

Hi,
Normally, the 50/60HZ current transformers can be operated at 100/200HZ - without any problem. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back