Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

50/30 ohm coax adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhughes

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My system requires a 50 ohm input feed to a 30 ohm load. I am trying to design a coax adapter with the lowest possible mismatch...does anyone have any recommendations? Freq is 100MHz to 11GHz. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

"Minimum Loss Pad/Attenuator" may be a solution within this Bandwidth.

Minimum loss means 6.5 dB in this case. Is it acceptable for the application?

Thank you..I was thinking a 1/4 transformer at first, but with the bandwidth I don’t know it will work. The min loss pad could be the only solution...6.5dB is ok. Any idea how to proceed with this? This is always in a coax structure. Thanks

Thank you..I was thinking a 1/4 transformer at first, but with the bandwidth I don’t know it will work. The min loss pad could be the only solution...6.5dB is ok. Any idea how to proceed with this? This is always in a coax structure. Thanks

You can calculate the resistance values here..
https://home.sandiego.edu/~ekim/e194rfs01/minl_atten/minlosatten.html
Then you should find a tubular mechanical part that is convenient for your coaxial connectors ( N-Type, SMA etc) After that, prepare a PCB that will fit into this mechanical tubular structure and choose the resistances in according with your Power Level and attenuation accuracy.This is hand-made solution.
There may be-I don't know- ready to use solutions from different manufacturers.

Thank you BB! The pcb is an option...as a handmade solution.

100M to 11G

That is a big bandwidth. You can forget about a magnetic transformer, or quarterwave section.

You will need a broadband matching network.

But seriously, why do you care? That is a return loss of 12 dB. You can not take that sort of mismatch? If not, add a 2 dB attenuator pad in front of it, and the total return loss will now be 16 dB, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back