Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 wire potentiometer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnhathaway

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a 5 wire potentiometer that I'm trying to figure out. Seems like it's more difficult than it should be lol.

It looks pretty much identical to this one:
1636943585689.png

Except the colors of the wires are in different spots. Not sure yet if that is because this pot is different, or if the wire colors are just colored wrong.

On the bottom connections the red and black wires are reversed from the pictures, and I have verified where this pot plugs in there is 12v feeding into that wire pair as positive / negative.

But, I can't figure out the top wires. They are colored from left to right red, black, yellow. When I switch it on as well as turning it all the way up, I'm not getting any voltage readings with any combination of the 3 top wires.
I searched refered steps of wiring a potentiometer ,but i am still confused.

The plan is to use it as a motor speed controller. What I'd like to do is make the pot control wireless rather than having to extend the pot wires and have them get in the way. So, I was trying to figure out how the pot signals were incorporated into this board so that I could replicate them using an arduino. The wireless communications and all I can handle easy enough, I've done that numerous times. Just seem to be having trouble figuring out how this pot works with the rest of the circuit lol.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

[Moderator action: removed advertising link]

Last edited by a moderator:

Top 3 wires are potentiometer's IN/OUT/MID pins. It's not obligatory to see a voltage between the pins because you don't know how it's been driven. Maybe few mV maybe more or less..
In general, a current source drives this component then a voltage appears between IN and OUT pins so user benefits any voltage between these two pins.

The relation to motor speed control isn't quite clear. You want to read the potentiometer voltage by an Arduino analog input? You basically connect the potentiometer outer terminals (black and red) to GND and AREF and the wiper (yellow) to an analog input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back