Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 bit to 7 seg decoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateurs

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, newbie here...

I've just started studying digital logic design a month ago...
I want to convert 5 bit binary number to 2 digit 7 segment display...

I searched over the web, i could only find BCD to 7seg decoder but no chip that could decode my 5 bit number to display on 2-digit 7 seg...
My teacher says you won't find such chip....you need to make your own such decoder...

Please suggest me an IC....or tell me how to make my own decoder???

(I don't want to use any programmable chip or stuff like that...because i know nothing about this)

THANKS IN ADVANCE...

How is your 5bit number encoded? You can only represent 32 discrete numbers with 5 bits, but two 7-segment displays can display 100 discrete numbers. Or do you just want to display 0-31?
If you don't want to use programmable logic, I think you're just going to have to cobble together a bunch of decoders and/or gates. Maybe use a 4-line-to-16 line decoder for the lower 4 bits. You're not going to find a single chip to do this.

I just want to display 0-31...Would you please explain more???
If there is no such chip....then what procedure should i follow to do the job.

Basically, you have 32 states from your 5-bit value. And you have 14-segments (two 7-segment displays). For each of those segments you need to determine for which of the the 32 states they should be active. For example, the lower left segment of your low digit will be active for the following values: 0,2,6,8,10,12,16,18,20,22,26,28,30; the center segment of the low digit will be active for : 2,3,4,5,6,7,9,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,23,24,25,26,27,29. And so on. Can you see this getting ugly?

Here's a solution: CD4026. It's a counter with a 7-segment output. You can cascade two of these to get your two digit outputs. There are also binary-to-bcd converters out there if you can't use the counter function.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back