Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4x4 Hex keypad interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrrah

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.. i just want some advice/suggestion on what port will i interface my 4x4 he keypad.. im using pic877a.. i have port b & d available.. which port will i use? and how will i connect it? pls guide me

You would look at some along these lines. But change the port used, in you case I would most probably use Port B

Last edited by a moderator:

if ill use portB, do i still need pullup/pulldown resistors? if yes, at what pins will i put it?

can it be done without any external resistors? i just dont understand what's the use of resistors coz some layouts ive seen does not use it.. can you please enlighten be about this matter? thanks

The resistors offer some protection against short circuit of the pins.

An example of what you would do with the above.

set pins B0-B3 as outputs, pins B4-B7 as inputs

Set B0 to high, check the inputs for key press and respond if required.
Set B1 to high, and check inputs & respond
Set B2 to hign, check inputs & respond
Set B3 to high check inputs & respond

There a few ways you could handle the above, depending on what you wish to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.