Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4x3 keypad and LCD on the same IO lines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgq

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
4x3 keypad

I wonder if my PIC can do this without any additional hardware ?

keypad and lcd

be sure, if you use I2C LCD and keyboard! :)
//a

pic 4x3 key

Hi tdq,

you might get some problems if you really want to do that.

You can reuse RW RS and the DATA pins of your PIC while E is inactive (L) but you can not easily connect keys (which switch to GND) because you never know when a key is pressed and this will give you severe problems if not done right.

But if you are interested I can show you how to scan 12 keys with only 4 pins of your PIC (you will also need 4 diodes and a little bit of software).

best regards

microchip keypad application

C-Man is correct about the problem with Key press disturbing the LCD write operation. However, you may still be able to control this by adjusting the pull ups (and diodes) in the keypad matrix.

But then, you said no additional hardware so I suppose resistors and diodes are out? Or do you already have the resistors (for pull up on the keypad matrix)? If so, then adjusting values may help.

Best way is to wire the keypad in 2x8 matrix (since you already are using 8 pin bus the LCD) and tri state the 2 source lines for the keypad. If you can tri state these lines, a key press would NOT affect the LCD write operation.

I am not sure if I am clear in my description. There used to be an application note in the Microchip PIC databook where the keypad lines were used with the LED bus using resistors and diodes.

Ajay

i2c lcd keypad matrix

Hi,
Hope this link maybe helpful
**broken link removed**

Regards
Itp

74c922 4x3

Tip:
**broken link removed**
Uses a 74c922, but well...

4x3 keypad

thanks all
i understand its possible with external pullups, but a kbd hit when writing to LCD give errors
i must accept this or tristate Kbd

Status
Not open for further replies.