Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4mA to 20mA distance sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gustavolsilvano2

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!

I'm implementing a circuit in which I transduce a current value that comes from a inductive sensor 4 to 20mA into voltage (1 to 5V) and insert in my PIC ADC port. For that I used a 270 Ohms resistor and an opamp that isolate my circuit and saturate the voltage, which will impossibilitate my ADC port to colect voltage signal above 5V. I want you to see if the circuit is ok, or if there's anything that I can change to improve it.

Thanks

Gustavo

Attachments

• circuito.jpg
    circuito.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 74

Hello Gustavo,

Maybe the 270 Ohm is too high, because it would create 5.4V at 20mA. The opamp has also a maximum input voltage. Thus it might be useful to put a Z-diode to protect the input against overvoltage. In some cases a reverse protection is also useful (to avoid negative input voltage or ground loops).

Enjoy your design work!

I would put a 10K resistor in place of the short from -ve input to output. Then put a pot (1K?) across your supply and feed the -ve input from the slider via another 10K resistor. You should then be able to get rid off the 4mA X 270 ~ 1V of static output from your op amp by adjusting the pot. Likewise you can trim the output to -ve input resistor to give you some convenient scaling factor.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.