Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4G serial modem - unable to connect to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wajju

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with getting started with this new 4G Serial Modem. I don't have a lot of experience in this field but from what I can understand, it is unable to connect to any cellular network. I've copied the logs from 'AT Command Tester' software that I'm using to test it and it looks like it can see two networks but is unable to connect to them as their Status is 'Forbidden'. Would really help if someone could provide some insight into this.

My end goal is to send/receive SMS via this modem using AT commands, so nothing fancy. Will be using a script for that eventually.

Sending AT query..
AT

OK
Successfull response for AT query..

Enabling echo and verbose mode
ATE1V1

OK
AT+CGMM

BG96

OK
Model Number : BG96
AT+CGMI

Quectel

OK
Manufacturer : Quectel
AT+CGMR

BG96MAR02A09M1G_O

OK
Revision : BG96MAR02A09M1G_O

AT+CGSN

*************** (Hidden for privacy)

OK
The IMEI(International Mobile Equipment IdentityI is *************** (Hidden for privacy)
AT+CIMI

50502********** (Hidden for privacy)

OK
Phone Number : 50502********** (Hidden for privacy)
AT+CCLK?

+CCLK: "80/01/06,00:09:15"

OK
Current time is"80/01/06,00:09:15"
AT+CPIN?

+CPIN: READY

OK
SIM is ready
AT+CGDCONT?

+CGDCONT: 1,"IP","telstra.internet","0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0

OK
Following connection profiles are available,

CID-> 1
PDP Type->IP
APN->telstra.internet
PDP Address->0.0.0.0
Data Compression->0
Header Compression->0
AT+CSQ

+CSQ: 31,99

OK
Signal level is -51 dbm. Signal condition is excellent. The signal strength range is -53 dbm (Excellent) to -109 dbm (Marginal).

AT+IPR?

+IPR: 115200

OK
Serial port speed is set to 115200.
AT+COPS?

+COPS: 0

OK

AT+COPS=?

+COPS: (3,"Telstra Mobile","Telstra","xxxxx",8),(3,"xxxxx","xxxxx","xxxxx",0),,(0,1,2,3,4),(0,1,2)

OK
Available Networks:
Network Name->Telstra Mobile
Network ID->5
Network Status->Forbidden

Network Name->5
Network ID->5
Network Status->Forbidden

Networks found

AT+CMGS="+xxx-xxx-xxxx"
test

Checking registration status...

AT+CREG?

+CREG: 0,2

OK
The device is not registered and is currently searching for a new operator to which to register.

AT+CGREG?

+CGREG: 0,4

OK
Registration status is unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:

As far as I can see there is no problem except that you need an account with Telstra or '5' to use the service. The signal seems to be there and you are obviously connecting to the modem because you can see the messages. I think you need to register the SIM with one of them to use their data services.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.