Not open for further replies.

barryforever

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I have designed a 400 Watts Xenon Flash Strobe Circuit, I want someone to verify the circuit because Im very unsure about the output that I get.

Design Reference :

Inductor Sizing : Click Here
SMPS Circuit : Click Here

Design Consideration :

Chosen Battery : 12V 7Ah SLA Battery ( Input to Boost Circuit )
Boost Circuit : To deliver 420V 1A

Circuit Schematic : **broken link removed**

I have selected the following Inductor for my Boost Circuit :

Specification :

Model :MSS1278T-124
Mount : SM
Core Mat: Ferrite
Shielded : Yes
Inductance Value : 120.0 uH
DCR max ohm :0.1823 ohm
Isat: 3.58 A
Ipk :1.9 A

Inductor Sizing Output :**broken link removed**

SMPS Output : **broken link removed**

Boost Circuit Config :

Freq : 500 Khz
Duty Cycle :97.32%

I dont know whether the above circuit delivers about 400 Watts power from a 12V 7Ah Battery.I have heard that at such high duty cycle doesnt work .

I tried simulating this in Orcad Pspice but was unsuccesful.

Please express your views and opinions on it.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Some numbers don't fit. Not considering losses, you get an average input current of 420W/12V=35A. The inductor has to be designed for this current. A 7 Ah battery won't be well suited to deliver 35A (or 40-45 A, considering realistic losses).

Apart from this point, a boost converter isn't a good choice for a 1:35 voltage ratio due to high switching losses. A push-pull transformer converter would be a more reasonable option.

What if I limit the current to 1A by using a current limiting resistor ?
Will this circuit work to deliver the designed load ?

Depends on flash rate you want the strobe to work at. You can stepup the voltage and discharge from a LOW ESR plastic cap easily with very low current and wait or higher current for faster recharge cycle time. But the power in the Xenon tube is determined by 1/2 CV^2 and the Energy power-time constant in Watt-Seconds is the figure of brightness ( or Joules) . The ESR of the tube and its energy rating in W-sec determine the peak brightness and duration of the pulse.

To simulate the sun, you need 1 kW-Sec or 1 KJ reflected over 1 sq m. (m^2)

Status
Not open for further replies.