Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-t0-1 mux in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

santumevce1412

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
verilog mux

A 4-to-1 mux using if-else and case is given

if-else statements

if(sel_1 == 0 && sel_0 == 0) output = I0;
else if(sel_1 == 0 && sel_0 == 1) output = I1;
else if(sel_1 == 1 && sel_0 == 0) output = I2;
else if(sel_1 == 1 && sel_0 == 1) output = I3;

Using case statement

case ({sel_1, sel_0})
00 : output = I0;
01 : output = I1;
10 : output = I2;
11 : output = I3;
default : output = I0;
endcase
# What are the advantages / disadvantages of each coding style shown above?
# How Synthesis tool will give result for above codes?
# What happens if default statement is removed in case statement?
# What happens if combination 11 and default statement is removed? (Hint Latch inference)

pls answer these questions..............

mux verilog

Hi ,
For the coding with if-else, synthesis tool will implement the priority based MUX logic. So it will have a more delay as priority chain is created.
For the coding with case statemetn, it will create a parallel MUX structure, so delay will be less.
As so far as synthesis tool result, above text already answer this.
Regarding the removal of default statement in case statement....In this case you have mentioned all the four possible conditions so it is full case and hence no need to write default statement... so even if you remove it wont effect your hardware

Regarding the combination "11" and defalut statement removal, in case statement... Latch will be infered... as you have already mentioned as a hint... latch will be infered, becasue synthesis tool don't have idea, what to do when case item become s"11".. so it will try to keep the previous value in the output.... so it will infere the latch like logic in order to produce the previous output in case of "11" in case item.
Hope this helps...

let us know if you have any other specific doubts......

mux in verilog

As both code implementations are logically equivalent, you can't know a priory that they are treated different by a synthesis tool. It may be the case with a particular tool (do you know of any for sure?), but an identical result for both constructs is much more likely, I think.

4 to 1 mux verilog

my 2 cents,

I agree with viju and i agree with FvM

As most of the articles in the internet based on verilog coding styles towards are inclined to the synthesis tool (synopsys design compiler). This is the reason for viju answer i believe.

But for the rtl quoted i believe , the design compiler will infer a priority encoder for ifelse and a mux for the case statement.

For mux situation the tool understanding we can agree both the RTL constructs are logically correct but for the priority encoder the first RTL will be the right choice.

I believe we can use tool pragmas to get things done for example //infer_mux for the first RTL ??

hope i made sense

happy designing
best regards,

chip design made easy,
https://www.vlsichipdesign.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back