Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design for 50VDC to 3.3VDC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish2207

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an input voltage around 50VDC and I want to derive power for MCU from the same source. The output voltage is +3.3VDC 2A.

Please suggest the most cost effective devices for the circuit.

I have seen the TI Webench Designer for power and they have excellent designs and every possible solution. But when I buy a perticular TI or any other part in retail the same 3$ part will become 10$. Which is not desirable.

So, I want some suggestions of parts which are readily available in the local market so they will be cheaper.

Thanks,
Vishal

use 2 resistor and bring source voltage level to low level such 5VDC. and then use regulator like LM317, lf33, lm1117-3.3 or any regulator that do same work.

I have an input voltage around 50VDC and I want to derive power for MCU from the same source. The output voltage is +3.3VDC 2A.

Please suggest the most cost effective devices for the circuit.

use 2 resistor and bring source voltage level to low level such 5VDC. and then use regulator like LM317, lf33, lm1117-3.3 or any regulator that do same work.

If the task in to get an output of 3v3 2A to feed the mcu board and the source is 50v then a resistive divider would have to dissipate 46.7v * 2A which is about 90W...
Apart from that using a resistive divider is probably the most inefficient way to lower a voltage.

Thanks for the options given by you.

Can anyone suggest the most common Switching regulator ICs?

You have a couple options:
1. Use a transformer-based topology (flyback or forward) to achieve the high step-down ratio with a simple controller.
2. Use a specialzed controller which is capable of operating with very low duty cycles. For best efficiency you should use a synchronous converter with external FETs.

It depends what your ripple requirements are, but for standard MCU applications I would recommend a monolithic buck converter IC with external inductor, flyback diode and capacitors to lower the BOM cost. Take a look at the LT1074 from Linear Technology for example, it can handle inputs up to 60V and easily supply 2A of output current at 3.3V.

If efficiency is an issue , just go for SMPS . use flyback or forward converter .
otherwise design a linear regulator using zener and bjt.

[Solved] Re: Design for 50VDC to 3.3VDC converter

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate that.

I have finalized the Switching Regulator LM2576HV from Simple Switcher family of TI. It have maximum input voltage of 57V and 3A max output current. It needs just 4 external components. So, it is super easy to use and costs about $5.

I hope this thread will be treated as Solved now.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.