Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2x16 LCD and PIC16F877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

syahrul.s

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic16f877a lcd

hi..can somebody help me with this 2x16 lcd?
i bought it from bizchip.com. already read the datasheet,but still can't get it works.I try to connect the lcd with PIC16f877A (port b).At least there should be a sign that the LCD is working rite?Instead, once all the circuitry is powered up,the lcd still does not ON. Anybody??

thanks

2x16 lcd datasheet

I think that if the connections are correct the problem is the contrast . Connect a variable resistor ( 5 or 10 k) on pin 2 ( or 3 check the datasheet)

lcd 2x16 datasheet

you should take care of the data and command where for datayou should make EN go from hi to low and RS=1 after that EN=1
for command you should make EN go from hi to low and RS=0 after that EN=1

lcd pic16f877

A typical character LCD simply powered without any initialization will show a row of dark squares across the top. If you don't see the dark row, adjust the contrast pot until you do. If that doesn't work then you have a bad LCD.

lcd pic16f877a

hi
there is a row of dark squares across the top once the LCD is powered up.but when I run it with the PIC,it still show the same display.Its just a simple programming using PIC C Compiler (by CCS) to display a word Testing..

Added after 8 minutes:

eaf_knight said:
you should take care of the data and command where for datayou should make EN go from hi to low and RS=1 after that EN=1
for command you should make EN go from hi to low and RS=0 after that EN=1

how should I perform this? thnx

pic16f877 lcd

You must use a built in library of the compiler to drive the LCD, or write your own. Character LCD's can be driven in 4-bit or 8-bit mode, so your hardware connection must match the type of code routines you are using.

Before you write anything the LCD must be initialized, which is a special routine to start it. This initialization is dependent upon the type of connections you are using, whether 4-bit or 8-bit.

There was an excellent 2-part EPE article on how this is done in the following PDF's:

How To Use Intelligent LCD's- Part One
How To Use Intelligent LCD's- Part Two

pic16f877a with lcd

the example of PICC work fine so i think your problems is hardware.Check if any pin of LCD is connect with other or with power.

lcd con pic16f877a

you have to connect a potentiometer to adjust the intensity, the pot value should be in the datasheet, if this is not the case then get sure you are using the right header for the right LCD in the compiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.