Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2's Complement Multiply with Constant

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyzhu

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
complement multiply

Hi all,

I have 2's Complement digit range from negtive to positive. How to multiply it with a constant?

Now, I have to turn 2's complement to signed-digit format and do shift-addition/multiplication.

And there is a big problem confused me a long time:
Is there any method have the merits from signed-digit(easy to multiply) and 2's complement(easy to add)?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Best regards,
Davy

You should use booth's algorithm or Modified Booth algorithm. See the following links:
1) **broken link removed**
2) userpages.umbc.edu/~padmanab/ fall03/cmpe415/BoothAlgo.pdf

RGDS
KH

davyzhu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You have to realize that you MUST use a proper data type for the result of multiplication so that it can FIT there:

e.g. you have to multiply numbers that fit into "signed char" type (i.e. into 1 byte with range from <-128 to +127>), then the maximum result is 16256 (absolute value) which can fit into "signed int" type (2 bytes with range <-32768 to 32767>)
Code:
signed int multiplier_1;                    // its value limited to <-128;+127> !
signed int multiplier_2;                    // its value limited to <-128;+127> !
signed int multiplication_result;

multiplication_result = multiplier_1 * multiplier_2;   // this will give correct results
                                                         // for multipliers the multiplication of which
                                                         // won't exceed <-32768 to +32767>

for instance:
multiplier_1 = -128, i.e. number represented as 0xFF80 (two's complement of 128=> NOT(0x0080)+1 = 0xFF7F+1)
multiplier_2 = +127, i.e. number represented as 0x007F (your "constant")

multiplication_result = 0xFF80 * 0x007F = 0xC080
0xC080 is a negative number (MSBit=1), so that the result (its abs. value) is two's complement of it (with negative sign), i.e. NOT(0xC080)+1 = 0x3F7F+1 = (-)0x3F80 = (-)16256 = -128*127

Best Regards
Eric

davyzhu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back