Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Harmonic balance , PSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinato

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the difference between harmonic balance and Pss ... harmonic balance s parameters and s prameters

Harmonic balance is a method (engine) used by the PSS analysis. Other engine is Newton-Raphson.

there is harmonic balance and shooting engines available, If you are trying to do a pss sim,ulation using a certain tool, best to refer to the notes/forum opf that company .

- - - Updated - - -

there is harmonic balance and shooting engines available, If you are trying to do a pss sim,ulation using a certain tool, best to refer to the notes/forum opf that company .

thanks very much but I want to know when to use the shooting method and when to use hb ..what I understood that shooting method solves the equations in the time domain but harmonic balance solves it in the frequency domain so hb may be faster but it is less accurate than sh. method so is that true

I want to know when to use the shooting method and when to use hb ..
Consider approximations of signal by fourier series with finite terms.

For broadband circuits where many terms are needed for expressing signals in circuits, Shooting-Newton is superior and efficient.
Attached figures are phase noise of driven circuit with changing rise time of clock.
In this case, we can't evaluate phase noise correctly by HB analysis.

However for narrowband circuits or high-Q circuits where not so many terms are needed, Harmonic-Balanced is superior and efficient.
Common RF circuits are typical examples for this case.

See https://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1280229946/3#3

Attachments

• Shooting-Newton.png
    Shooting-Newton.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back