Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDD : How can I move partitions from a physical location to another ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,

Once is known that partitions located at inner sectors are more susceptible to suffer failture, let me ask :

• How can I know the physical position of each partition ?
  • What tool is avaliable to perform I exchange of them ( sector by sector, I suppose ) ?

+++

Disc space is assigned to partitions sequentially when creating the partitions. Each partitions allocates a continuous part of total disc storage.

You can change the size of partitions, create copy, move and delete it with tools like partition magic.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Just one add-on Partition Magic company is now Symantec, and PartitionMagic is not supported as product any more.

But I must say I often use Partition Magic for this situations. Its good to see new products from Symantec in that category of software.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Hi guys,

Does this program needs to work under an Operational System ( as Windows ) ?
I´m asking because I would like to run jut after format HDD and create the partitions.

Justo a remark :
The purpose is to place the null partition ( D: ) over inner sectors, and system partition ( C: ) at outer sectors, due failture ocurs less frequently at there.

+++

You have option to make Boot disk and use boot disk to startup PC and then you move, delete, resize,...

As FvM mention PartitionMagic, with usage of PM Boot disk you can adjust Win7 and Win 8 partitions.

Its strongly recommended when you perform such delicate actions to backup all disk partitions. I never have any problems with PM. My suggestion is to use PC on safe mains power, and avoid power outage during this processes, get UPS.

As an additional hint, there are partition backup programs, that also include a partition edit function. They usually run from a bootable floppy or CD-ROM.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Hi
If that is the intent, u should look for some Linux based partition tools, as they display sector info for each partition u are trying to create. Once u figure lower sector values are inside or outside, it should work out fine for u.
Or u can try similar tools in windows. I will Google a bit and let u know here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back