Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about DB6NT's frequency doubler. What is purpose of wide areas? (have photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello! I found nice design of frequency doubler here: http://members.datafast.net.au/vk3zqb/24proj.htm
db6ntmixerask.jpg

Frequency F0 going from left to right until doubled. From left to right:
1. "?" widened microstrip area
2. modulation DC bias
3. L/4 stub for filtering 2xF0 frequency out (L is wavelength of 2xF0)
4. antiparallel diode pair for mixing/doubling purpose
5. L/2 stub for filtering F0 (acts as L/4 stub for F0)
6. again some "?" widened microstrip area.

So what the purpose of two widened microstrip areas? I guess it is not quarterwave matching line.
It looks that it is quarter-wavelength (for 2F0 before diodes and for F0 after diodes).
If it is some kind of unwanted freq reflection method, what impedance of this lines i must choose?

Thanks!

Is it for reflection purposes?
I tried some calculations and here is my guess:
1) assume that most of microstrip is 50 Ohm, and Er of substrate is about 2.65
2) left widened section: Quarter-Wave length (for 2F0), about 5..6mm wide. Z1=15 Ohm. It is special mismatch section to reflect 2F0 back to right area
3) right widened section: Quarter-Wave length (for F0), about 3..4mm wide. Z1=22 Ohm. Again special mismatch to reflect F0 back to left area.
So leakage of F0 to doubled area is minimised (and leakage of 2F0 to F0).

Am i right?

I think you are right. An experiment can show if you really are. You can use movable stripline sections made of a thin copper sheet to optimize the mixer, then make a final print for sale like DB6NT did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back