Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to select Zener & Resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

udhay_cit

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,
I need to measure a DC voltage range from 0-30V using microcontroller ADC. For that i am using potential divider value of R1=12K, R2=1.5K. My MCU operating @ 3.3V so with this resistor combination i can get 3.3V output @ 29.7V input. I am using 3.3V zener to protect overvoltage.

I can get 3.3V output for 29.7V input, without using zener diode... But if i connect zener diode the voltage never reach 3.3V for even 35v-40v range.
divider.png

I know the zener will start conduction little bit before reach the Vz, But how can i avoid this problem... Please give me the solution...

Notes: R9=150E is not involving in this circuit & it is optional for 4-20mA current measurement, so please don't consider this...

Thanks & regards
Udhay

Dear friends,
I need to measure a DC voltage range from 0-30V using microcontroller ADC. For that i am using potential divider value of R1=12K, R2=1.5K. My MCU operating @ 3.3V so with this resistor combination i can get 3.3V output @ 29.7V input. I am using 3.3V zener to protect overvoltage.

I can get 3.3V output for 29.7V input, without using zener diode... But if i connect zener diode the voltage never reach 3.3V for even 35v-40v range.
View attachment 82565

I know the zener will start conduction little bit before reach the Vz, But how can i avoid this problem... Please give me the solution...

Notes: R9=150E is not involving in this circuit & it is optional for 4-20mA current measurement, so please don't consider this...

Thanks & regards
Udhay

You will have better protection than just single Zener if you use 2 diodes connected between input pin of the MCU and [Vcc and GND] as shown on the attached picture.
Make sure to select diodes with Vf(max)<0.3V, [eg. Schottky diodes]...
:wink:
IanP

Attachments

• 2-diode Input Protection.png
    2-diode Input Protection.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 151
Yes, i agree thank you very much for the solution...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.