Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24v, 7.5A regulator for linear power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

simo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
24v linear regulator

hi guys!
do you know any company provide a 24V 7.5 A regulator for linear power supply.
if you know pleas email me the link,even if you found 24V 4A regulator for a linear PS.
thanks guys

nmos linear power supply

Does it _have_ to be an integrated regulator? Why can't you use a few external components like a beefy PNP transistor to literally take the heat?

Bert

lm117 24v power supply

Look at the data sheet for lower current regulators and they will show circuits to add an external higher power transistor to increase the current rating.

Page 15 of **broken link removed** data sheet has an example.

lm 24v regulator

I suggest u to use either LM 317h or 7824 regulator depend upon input voltage. Add one transistor 2N 3055 like darlington stage at the output. Use two more resistors to increase the voltage to 24.7 for 7824 and this also applies to LM 317.
No other component required and all the heat is transfered to transistor but it is not short circuit proof.
MP

7824 regulator pdf

Some old design use standard LM317T for example to do this. Amateur electronic magazine have article with such design (I see one with 10A or 20A output, don't remember exactly ...)

The drop should be kept as low as possible for good opération of this supply to minimize dissipation.

The solution with regulators in parallel have this caracteristic (I used it for 2 and 3 regulator in //) :

Should include small resistor between each output of regulator and global positive output. This resistor will ensure that charge are equally reparted, other wise one regulator can handle all the load, or worse case load can change very quickly betwenn regulator and one regulator (even if regulator is protected) will fail ...
To conterblance this resistor, for ajustable regulator that use a fraction of output voltage, the output voltage can be taken at the global output(after small resistor) and not directly at the output of each regulator.
But care must be taken, it can also make strange things, if regulator is really in closed loop ...

7824 power supply

which kinds package can be used when the current is so much large.

st7824 regulatorscurrent rating

use a metal-backed mounted package. 24v*8A means about 200W. You'll have to read the power mos datasheets to find out who can handle 200W - i don't use linears for this much power.

why not use a DC-DC converter? your power mos will be much smaller, and overall efficiency will be MUCH higher. you might even be able to find one with internal power mos! try intersil for these high-power switchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.