Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

240v to 24v at 150w Transformers, resisters, compact size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crysotyle

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What I would like to do is take 240v turn it into 24v at 150w in as compact a unit as possible. been trying to find a solution to this, looked at transformers and resisters but to at 150 watts all the solution have been to big. trying to get some thing to fit in a projector bulb compartment or in the base of a projector 30-40mm square x 70mm high there abouts will vary from projector to projector. any thoughts?

Hi,
there are ready to buy solutions.
A assume they are rather small .... for sure - if you are an advanced SMPS designer - you may design it smaller/ better.
In case you don´t have big experience: let others do the job.

Klaus

I have very little experience with electronics, where can I find the ready to buy solutions you talk about.

Carl

Hi,

internet search "24V 150W power supply".
6.5 million hits. Should be sufficient.

Klaus

It might be sufficient but so far all to big and expensive and not all the right type. Can I ask you not to reply to next post as you were not very helpful.

Carl

Hi,

Can I ask you not to reply to next post as you were not very helpful.
Yes, for sure. According your request I´ve put you on my ignore_list. This also saves my time.

... Less helpful than all the other replies? ;-)

Bye,
Klaus

Klaus is right of course. There are other factors to consider, for example in such a small space is there ventilation, space for a cooling fan etc. If each projector has a different space you will have to use different power supplies, especially if the airflow to carry heat away may be different in each case.

Forget using resistors, they would be bigger than the projector and run VERY hot. Your load is 24V at about 6 Amps so a dropper resistor would have to dissipate (240 - 24) * 6 Watts = 1.3KW !!

A conventional transformer would be too large but electrically the simplest solution.

That leaves only one viable solution, a switch mode power supply (SMPS) which you might find. Try searching for "240V 24V 6A" and see what comes up.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back