Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

240v ac to 12v ac without a use of the transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumi

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, can anyone help me with a circuit diagram that produce 12v ac from the 230 V ac?

I fear, it's a meaningless question without further specification.

- Purpose of the circuit?
- Delivered power/current?
- Isolation rqeuired?
- Does the waveform matter?
- Linearity required?

Hi, can anyone help me with a circuit diagram that produce 12v ac from the 230 V ac?
If the load on the 12v output is precisely known, you can reduce the voltage from 230v to 12v by simply adding the appropriate sized capacitor in series with the line voltage. It is a form of transformerless power supply. But it has the following drawbacks:

1. It is very dangerous to touch any part of the circuit so powered, since you are touching 230v.

2. The output voltage will rise dramatically if the current draw is reduced. So you would have to ensure your load was constantly drawing exactly the same current all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.