Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Does 89C51 code work in P89V51RD2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikky

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a 89C51 code which is working perfectly fine.But when i download the same Hex file into P89V51RD2 its not working.When both are pin to pin compatible i thought it should work.Any reason can be attributed?Thanks.

maybe there are incompatiblities in the internal instruction table the decodes the hex, check the assembly instruction of both and see if it is identical

Thanks for your reply Sir.Another interesting observation is though P89v51rd2 has a inbuilt ISP and there is level translator (MAX 232) in the card i am not able to program the IC.level translator circuit is working fine since 89C51 is communicating with PC through this level translator.

Thanks for your reply Sir.Another interesting observation is though P89v51rd2 has a inbuilt ISP and there is level translator (MAX 232) in the card i am not able to program the IC.level translator circuit is working fine since 89C51 is communicating with PC through this level translator.

which programmer you are using?? which software??
the code written for at89c51 should work in P89v51RD2.. may be you are not Burning it(p89v51rd2) well.. Flash magic is the best software for p89v51rd2 and it is programmed via rx and tx Pins only..

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

Here is a thread which may help you :
Need Help - Using 8051 with RS232

Take a look.

Good Luck..

Sir,I am using flash Magic and using the usual level translator (MAX 232) for programming P89V51RD2.level translator is able to communicate with PC for 89C51 fine.and IC too is working fine.

---------- Post added at 05:38 ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 ----------

I programmed the IC somewhere else and card is not showing the functionalities which it shows with 89C51.Thanks

hello vikky
Can you post the schematic of your circuit?? Cant help you unless you will give full details what programmer you are using ciruit.....

Did you saw this thread : Need Help - Using 8051 with RS232
There is complete procedure for p89v51rd2(circuit to burning)..
Which pins of p89v51rd2 you are using for Programming??
Check all your connections carefully, vcc and ground connections..

Good luck..

Reactions: tapu

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

tapu

I have successfully programmed P89V51RD2 in other boards.Its working fine.I cant understand why this board is giving trouble.I have attached schematic Sir.Pls go through it and give your fedback.Thanks.

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 211

I have successfully programmed P89V51RD2 in other boards.Its working fine.I cant understand why this board is giving trouble.I have attached schematic Sir.Pls go through it and give your fedback.Thanks.

Ok you cant burn p89v51rd2 in this programmer.. It is parallel programmer for atmel series microcontrollers(as they need to be programmed via Port 0 generally for at89c51/52).

Difference between two (at89c51 and p89v51rd2) is at89c51 you need to burn it using parallel programmer, in case of p89v51rd2 (you cannot burn it using P0 port ) you can program it via Isp(in system programming).. this method requires use of rx and tx pin only.. as there are details in the thread (link i have posted in my previous posts) you can make a programmer for p89v51rd2 easily.. it is very simple and easy..

If you want to program it using this board just connect rx and tx pins of max232 to rx and tx pins of p89v51rd2(condition: p89v51rd2 and max232 has same ground, vcc).. there is no need to use buffer ic 74hc373...

Always remember different microcontrollers need to be programmed differently : consider at89c51/52 or AT89c1051/2051/4051 or AT89s51/52 or P89v51rd2..
AT89C51/52 or at89c2051 - only parallel Programmer(uses port0 for parallel programming)
AT89S51/52 - this is advanced version of at89c51/52, it prevents the use of such bulky n complex programmer.. it can be programmed using mosi, miso, sclk, reset pins only... so it is easy to program s series atmel micro's then c series...
further,
P89v51rd2- it is very easy to program just 2 pins are required rx and tx...

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Sir,If you notice in the schematic the 10th(Rx) and 11th(Tx) pin of MCU is taken to Max232 chip.So cant i program through P3.0 and P3.1.I am using 74HC373 for different functionality and not for programming.Thanks.

Sir,If you notice in the schematic the 10th(Rx) and 11th(Tx) pin of MCU is taken to Max232 chip.So cant i program through P3.0 and P3.1.I am using 74HC373 for different functionality and not for programming.Thanks.

Dear take a look at your schematic, to program or run p89v51rd2 you need to connect vpp(31 pin) to vcc while leaving 29 and 30 pin floating.. Here is schematic for p89v51rd2 :
1747-200705151343449451.gif.png

Do these changes it will work definitely..

Good luck :)

Reactions: vikky

vikky

Oh thanks sir!I will make the necessary changes and try.Not RST pin too is floating.should i connect the Capacitor to Vcc and resistor to GND or leave as it is.Another pbm i face is even if i program it successfully code,which works fine with 89C51 doesnt work for 89V51rd2.This i found out after burning 89v51rd2 in another card and placed the IC in this card.But its not working with the same hex code of 89c51.

Oh thanks sir!I will make the necessary changes and try.Not RST pin too is floating.should i connect the Capacitor to Vcc and resistor to GND or leave as it is.Another pbm i face is even if i program it successfully code,which works fine with 89C51 doesnt work for 89V51rd2.This i found out after burning 89v51rd2 in another card and placed the IC in this card.But its not working with the same hex code of 89c51.
No, never float reset pin microcontroller simply will not work.. It is not floating in your circuit too.. look : Final.jpg
And to make programmer for p89v51rd2 go for schematic i have posted earlier.. make it as it is !!!
And the code written for at89c51 must work in p89v51rd2.. you just give it a try or post the code..!!!
hope this helps.. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.will try the suggestions posted by you and post the feedback.

No, never float reset pin microcontroller simply will not work.. It is not floating in your circuit too.. look : View attachment 66798
And to make programmer for p89v51rd2 go for schematic i have posted earlier.. make it as it is !!!
And the code written for at89c51 must work in p89v51rd2.. you just give it a try or post the code..!!!
hope this helps.. :)

Thank you sir.Now my circuit is working fine.

Good :)
Dont forget to mark the thread as solved!!!

Good Luck

Thanks everyone for helping me and a big thanks to tushki7 :)

Thanks everyone for helping me and a big thanks to tushki7 :)

No need to say thank you.. My Pleasure !!
In future when someones post helps you, just click the helped me tab at the bottom of his post. :)

Good Luck :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back