Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to get the 4WY WILKIN POWER DIVIDER S(3,2)parameter value more than -34DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

btv_murthy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello sir ,
For 4 way Wilkinson power divider , I used the TFR as isolation resistor, I don't know ,how to find the thickness and width of TFR. I am getting the wrong values for both circuit and EM simulation for S- parameters for S(3,2) and S(1,1).I expect the reults as follows for both circuit and EM simulations.
For circuit simulation S(1,1) S(2,1) S(3,1) S(3,2)For EMSimulation S(1,1) S(2,1) S(3,1) S(3,2)
- 36.12 -3.02 -3.04 -44.32 -36.12 -3.02 -3.04 -44.32
please help me, how to find the values of Width and thickness of TFR for 100 ohm resistor and 3 GHZ frequency for 4 way Wilkinson power divider. Please help me as soon as possible.
Here with ,I am attaching the jpeg file of 4 WY WILKINSON POWER DIVIDER, I got following results.
For circuit simulation S(1,1) S(2,1) S(3,1) S(3,2)For EMSimulation S(1,1) S(2,1) S(3,1) S(3,2)
- 19.185 -3.4554 -3.4554 -7.2196 -19.185 -3.4554 -3.4554 - 7.2196
I am getting s(3,2 ) value for circuit simulation and EM simulation as -7.2196 , I have to get s(3,2) value as more than -34DB value.Can u anybody help me to get 4 WY WILKINSON DIVIDER
S(3,2) as more than -34 DB, please help me.

What is your "sheet resistance" of your TFR ??? Find it then calculate its width and length..
Sheet resistance is dependent on your technology which you are using on your layout..

You need 100 ohm resistance in the TFR. If the sheet resistance is 100 Ohm/square, make TFR length = width.

Dear volker sir,

I have taken 100 ohm resistance as TFR. Now, I have to take width=length=100mm, then TFR will become very big.

I have taken 100 ohm resistance as TFR. Now, I have to take width=length=100mm, then TFR will become very big.

Try to understand what the TFR does. R = Rs * length/width. It has 100 ohm is the shape is square. You can make it smaller and the resistance will stay the same, as long as you keep the length/width ratio.

Dear Volker Sir,

Thank for replay.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Volker sir,

Thanks for replay sir, IF TFR resistance value = 100 ohm, what is the value of length and width of the TFR resistance.

So, length=width=1mm is OK, or length=width=3mm is also OK.
But there should be some other issues, such as max power ratiing, what is the max power of your power divider?

IF TFR resistance value = 100 ohm, what is the value of length and width of the TFR resistance.

Try to understand what the TFR does. Rs is the resistance for a square. Now let's change the size. Double the length -> resitance doubles. Double the width -> resistance is half. Double length and width -> resistance is the same (think of 2 squares in parallel and 2 in series).

Many physical sizes are possible. If the sheet resistance is 100 ohm, and you wnat a 100 ohm resitor, you can use 1mm square or 2mm square or any other square size. If the sheet resitance is Rs = 50 ohm, you need length = 2 * width. Very very simple.

Last edited:

Volker sir,

I have tried for your values i.e. length and width = 1mm or 2mm or 3mm. I tried for those values ,didn't get the expected values. Values are coming less -4DB. What i have to do sir, which value i need to substitute for getting the S(3,2) parameter as getting more than -24 DB value for length and width of TFR.

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Tony sir ,

I have substituted your values for length as 1mm or 2mm or 3mm, am getting S(3,2) values as less than -4DB . Which value i need to substitute to get length and width for TFR to get S(3,2) S-parameter more than -24DB values.Please help me sir.

I tried for those values ,didn't get the expected values. Values are coming less -4DB.

Something else is wrong with your design.

You are using an extract block, and I think that your EM layout might be wrong. Check the extracted EM block if the layout looks correct and things are properly connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back