Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 220V to 12V buck converter IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

imranahmed

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please let me know that about 220V to 12V buck converter IC.

It is available on market or its equivalent.

Please let me know that about 220V to 12V buck converter IC.

It is available on market or its equivalent.

Hi Imran,

is it 220V DC to 12VDC converter IC you are looking for ... it is quite big difference between input and output. you need to used switch mode regulators because Linear regulators could not able to sustain such a big voltage drop.

I was doing similar task 3 to 4 years ago and at that time I found Maximum 60V input switch mode regulator available in the market. I am not sure about u can find sometime ready chip for ur application.

By the way what will be the maximum current with 12V you are expecting.

Dear ashad,

The current rating is maximum 1A.

Can I use two buck ICs first for 220v to 50v then second 50v to 5v.?

Dear ashad,

You could, but some choose transformers with dual secondary with high coupling factor for forward converters and regulate off the one with some load, as done in PC's.

Dear ashad,
Hi Imran,
Yes you can use two regulator or even you can use one regulator, it depend upon ur technique. In your case the problem is that you need high current and high input and output difference.
We have two types of voltage regulators Switch mode and linear.

Linear regulator if you are using linear regulators then you need to use then you can calculate
First regulator Input is 220V and output is 50V means on regulator 170V drops and u need 1 amp current as well. therefore you need any regulator can bear 170Watts which I am sure you will not find it.
On other hand the difference between Input and output must not exceed to 32V in case of LM317. this is another issue u need to take care. I am sure you will find any chip which can bear more than 60V difference.
you may use 220V/30V around 8 regulator in series in case of LM317 to achieve this output.

Switch mode regulator you can achieve this by using switch mode regulator but problem is that you have high input and output difference. the maximum input voltage regulator I knew is LM2576HV which can bear 60V. But u need

Conclusion you need to decide either you will use linear regulators or swithc mode regulators. because you can solve ur problem by using both techniques. Linear one is simple design and hopefully u will find all components in local market but switch mode design having low losses but u need more components.

- - - Updated - - -

You could, but some choose transformers with dual secondary with high coupling factor for forward converters and regulate off the one with some load, as done in PC's.

Hi Sunnysky, I am assuming the input is DC not AC. so how he can use transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.