Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Problem with AVR Studio 5 Watch Window (assembler)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexxx

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In AVR Studio 4, the watch window used to work just fine. In AVR Studio 5, when a value of a register or SRAM is loaded into watch window, it is always anavailable and non readable (instead of value, I always get an "unknown identifier").

Is this a bug or there is a setting that causes this behaviour?
Does anyone uses watch window properly?

I am asking only about AVR Studio 5 and only assembler.

Thanks in advance!

What OS are you running on this system? Also what programmer/dedugger are you using with the AVR Studio 5?

I haven't as yet given version 5 a try?

I've heard very mixed reviews, incompatibilities and a lot of negative comments.

BigDog

OS is WindowsXP, the debugger is AVR Sudio's debugger.

Well AVR Studio 5 is an ambitious effort, no doubt about it. It is build on Visual Studio and has a really improved editor, close to Visual Studio Editor, which makes your life easier for sure. But it seems that Atmel was anxiously running to release something most competitors did, that is a decent IDE. But it seems like some things left behind. AVR Studio 4 is buggy, but its issues are well known and tested.

Well AVR Studio 5 is an ambitious effort, no doubt about it.

Next time I'm bored and want a little excitement in my life, I'll install AVR Studio 5.

AVR Studio 4 is buggy, but its issues are well known and tested.

Yes, you are correct. And there is nothing worse then trying to troubleshoot a new App, IDE, etc., when on a project deadline.

I'll most likely give "5" a whirl in a couple of weeks after I complete these two contract projects. I'll let you know of my experiences.

Ciao

bigdogguru said:
I'll let you know of my experiences.

Well it would be interesting to hear your experiences when you test it!

Well here is the answer from ATMEL, it seems like that projects development using assembler is impossible for the time being in AS5, since the watch window cannot work properly (hey don't tell me that still memory and register window works OK :roll:).

View topic - watch window in assembler :: AVR Freaks

ATMEL SUPPORT said:
From what I see, there is no way in current version of AS5 to put a watch on labels and registers names. The only workaround in this case could be assignment/reading to variable. Then you can put a watch on variable. So, there is nothing wrong with you. Now we are preparing new release of AS5. Hope soon you'll find it more convenient... Sorry for inconvenience.

It is sad that ATMEL left us to do the troubleshooting for them. And we are not talking about an insignificant omission, we are talking about the watch window here!!! Anyway, this version should not be characterized as "release", since debug in assembler is not fully functional...

Last edited:

Just another reason why I have not been in a hurry to test it out. You're correct, it should have been released as a beta. I think I'll wait until I see a few revision numbers after that "5."

bigdogguru said:
I think I'll wait until I see a few revision numbers after that "5."

That was exactly my thought bigdogguru!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.