Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] what is the need of fpga imlementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooja_khubbar

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello friends
i want to know after code testing and simulating it in hdl language..whats the use of fpga implementation.. mean what additional information we can get by implementing in fpga..

Emulation (i.e implementing it on fpga) is important for you to consider non ideal effects that are not covered by your simulation. Particularly the noise present in your system. Basically it will help you gauge how robust your system is.

Simulating a design just assures you that the algorithm will work. But it doesnt mean that the algorithm can be mapped(or implemented) using real digital circuit elements.

But when you implement the hdl code in fpga, and if it works that means that we can create an equivalent circuit of the algorithm in hand.

All codes which work in simulation need not work well in real fpga.

am doing a project in which k bit data is encoded into 2exp(k-1) bits of orthogonal code..and then decoding it...i have simulated the design using verilog..my results are found to be correct and now i hv to implement it in fpga..it means some errors can affect its working while implementing it in fpga

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

thank you for ur reply..
there are some other things also that we can observe from fpga implementation?

Simulation is OK! But to dump code in FPGA your code must be synthesizable. Normally if you write code for simulation purposes that code may not be synthesizable. It may contain a lot of constructs that are not synthesizable like 'timescale, time units etc. These are specially used for simulation purposes. Synthesizable code is a combination of behavioural and data flow modelling style. You also need to avoid some construct that are specially used for simulation purposes.

You can check real timing performance of hardware in FPGA.

Along with this. FPGA are also used for.

1. FPGAs are mainly used for product prototyping. The cost of ASIC development is very high. So initially product are prototyped using FPGA and if there is a good market they can go ASIC. Ofcourse performance is not as good as an ASIC.

2. Time to market is less for product. You just need to dump a bit file (FPGA programming file) to get desired functionality. It is matter of hours. While ASIC requires months to design and fabricate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back