Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to reshape a 60 Hz sine wave to a 60 Hz square wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffon05

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am trying to reshape a 60 Hz sine wave into a 60 Hz square wave, but I am not sure how to do that... Does anyone know how to create a circuit for that? Thx!

Re: wave shaping circuit

Use a comparator, when the voltage passes a certain point in the input waveform, make the output high, when it drops below it make the output low. If you adjust the comparison voltage you can make the change happen earlier or later in the sine curve so you can adjust it for exactly 50% high/50% low output.

Brian.

You don't say what your levels are so there are various answers.

At the simplest a pair of anti parallel diodes connected to ground and a resistor to your 60Hz signal, will give you an aproximation to a square wave at around +-0.7v with silicon signal diodes (1N4148 etc). A variation on this is to use a pair of back to back Zener diodes giving around +- Vzf+Vzb (Vzf= zenner forward voltage, Vzb= zenner reverse voltage).

If retaining the basic frequency and phase information on a good quality sinwave is important to you you should consider a "zero volt cross over detector". However if the signal is noisy then the zero crossover is going to have lots of noise thus a schmit trigger circuit should be considered (effectivly a cross over detector with a feedback resistor from the output to provide a degree of hysterisis.

If you provide a little further information about what you want to do we can tailor it more to your requirments.

Sorry, I should have made it more clearly...
A 60Hz, 5 volt(peak) timing signal comes from a function generator, and it would be a sine wave. Now, I have to convert that sine wave into a square wave with also 60 Hz and 5v output for the clock of the ICs. Don't know if I am making any sense here...
I am probably thinking too simplistic, could that conversion of sine to square wave be done with just a schmitt trigger IC (like 7414)?

I am petty noobish in this topic, so it would be great if you can explain in a simple way or even provide some schematics...

5V pulse from 5Vpp sine
You can use allmost any schmitt trigger- , buffer- , inverter-IC for making pulse.
Even connect 2 or 3 inverter or buffer in series.
But you must remember that timing is not exactly same as sine wave has.

Look this picture I drow.

View attachment Sine to pulse 01.pdf

KAK

ah, thx for the help, my timing is very important in my case...

I think the best option is to use 2 input schimit trigger,you refrence pin A.then feed in your sine wave at pin B,you will get a square pulse as your output.

Sorry, I should have made it more clearly...
A 60Hz, 5 volt(peak) timing signal comes from a function generator, and it would be a sine wave. Now, I have to convert that sine wave into a square wave with also 60 Hz and 5v output for the clock of the ICs. Don't know if I am making any sense here...
I am probably thinking too simplistic, could that conversion of sine to square wave be done with just a schmitt trigger IC (like 7414)?

I am petty noobish in this topic, so it would be great if you can explain in a simple way or even provide some schematics...

Does your function generator not have a square-wave output option? Or is it simply a sine-only signal generator?

If you look picture i drow for you,
you find out that input needs negative offset for correct timing.
I try to draw another picture when i have more time.

KAK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back