Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the most efficient algorithm (area wise) for 16 bit/16 bit division in VHDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yihan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the most efficient algorithm (area wise) for 16 bit/16 bit signed division for FPGA (VHDL)? Can somebody give me a couple of examples so I can compile them? I am new at programming FPGA's. Thanks.

some people think the serial divider is the most efficient, is it right and why??

some people think the serial divider is the most efficient, is it right and why??
That's surely true, because it's just a subtractor, a shifter and a state machine. But it's slow compared to a full parallel divider.

Reactions: Yihan

Yihan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Do you know have any documentation that would support that? any good links? I have no luck googling... Thanks a lot

Serial divider IP can be found on the internet, at opencores and other places, and is also provided with some vendord libraries, e.g. from Xilinx.

Reactions: Yihan

Yihan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Are there any gate counts vs speed Tables somewhere for different division algorithms??

Thanks.

Can someone give me a little bit more information about the serial divider? such as architecture...

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

or a schematic of the serial divider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back