Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 power output paths (reduced and full) from the same transmitter controlled by MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

trastikata

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have experience in the digital domain but almost none in the analog domain. So I need some advise on the following issue.

I have a design with micro controller and small FM transmitter (I am using FM module with no option to regulate the power output) where the RF output is connected straight to an antenna, hence transmitting at full power. I would like to have the option to switch between two levels of transmitting power to the same antenna - full and reduced.

The only thing that I know is using a PIN diode as switch so I was thinking to use three pin diodes that will be commanded from the MCU to switch between the two paths and an unbalanced T attenuator on one of the paths.

I was wondering if there is some more elegant way to achieve that?

Thank you

There are many digital controlled RF attenuator in the market.You may create a Output Power Level Controlled FM Transmitter with these RF attenuators.
Since you have digital design experiences, it shouldn't be difficult to create a Power Control program for you.
For instance..
https://www.hittite.com/products/index.html/category/247
As you can see, there are many types of attenuator, choose one which is proper for your intention and make your circuit more elegant.

Note: PIN Diodes can crate harmonics at high power levels and they would be very disturbing for other electronic equipments.

Thank you BigBoss,

I didn't know such digital solutions exist, this makes it much easier for me.
I really need two power levels High and Low, so my choice is for MAATSS0018.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back