Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2-port impedance measurement in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoYouLinux

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am wondering about a simple thing. In ADS, I have a lumped network consisting of a series branch (L and R) and a shunt branch (C and R), as shown in the attached figure. If I want to measure the impedance between both terminals of this lumped network, how should I proceed ? Clearly, I cannot ground the terminal at the shunt branch because this will eliminate the shunt branch.

Is there any building block in ADS that allows me to get a 2-terminal impedance like this network ? I need to extract this impedance to be used in a MeaEqn.

It seems that "Zin" block is not for floating impedance like this one, it should be for measuring impedance of a grounded network.

I should figure out how to do, but it seems not clear to me now.

Please suggest :wink:

DYL

Attachments

• Zin_measure.JPG
    Zin_measure.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 298

You mean the impedance between +7 and +8 ?

Just delete the two ports to ground, and connect one port between these two points. Now you have the series impedance for a source that is floating from the circuit ground.

Hi volker_muehlhaus and pancho_hideboo,

Thank you very much for your replies. I tried both approaches, and they worked very well with the same results.

Thank you for the info again :grin:

DYL

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

But, by the way, why are the definitions of "differential" and "common-mode" voltages are different from those of current ?

--> Vdiff = V1 - V2
--> Vcom = (V1+V2)/2

--> Idiff = (I1 - I2)2
--> Icom = I1+I2

Is there any specific reason ?

DYL

Consider power.

V1=Vcom+Vdiff/2
V2=Vcom-Vdiff/2

I1=Icom/2+Idiff
I2=Icom/2-Idiff

V1*I1=Vcom*Icom/2+Vdiff*Idiff/2+Vcom*Idiff+Vdiff*Icom/4
V2*I2=Vcom*Icom/2+Vdiff*Idiff/2-Vcom*Idiff-Vdiff*Icom/4

V1*I1+V2*I2=Vcom*Icom+Vdiff*Idiff=Pcom+Pdiff
Pcom=Vcom*Icom
Pdiff=Vdiff*Idiff

Last edited:
Oh, I see. It's about total power delivered to the 2-Port to consist of common-mode power and differential-mode power.

Thank you very much for your explanation, pancho_hideboo,

DYL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back