Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 or more linux version installation!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaf20

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all
can anyone tell me how i can install 2 linux version on a PC?
4 example install RH7.2 and RH8 on one PC.
tnx in advance

Well that's is really easy task to do...I not so familiar with RH, I have used all the time Slackware, but i suposse that the thing to do is far too standart.
First you need to make space for the other instalation, usually this is done with partitions of the HD, or another HD, choose your method.
If you are partitioning, probably you want to take free space from the existing ones. First you need to defragment it with a defragment tool to arrange the information, linux has one, windows too.
Then you need a non-destructive partitioning tool, search for it, there are many depending on the Os you are pretending to do that and the type of partition you are going to re-part...
READ ALL THE DOCUMENTATION of those programs, you are risking all your information.

Otherwise use cfdisk(easier to use than fdisk, but if you are familiar with fdisk you probably prefer fdisk) to remap the partiions. ( :!: CAUTION, CFDISK, AND FDISK, requires then formating the new partitions, since you will lose all your info,).
Note: You can have only 4 primary partitions, If you need more partiions you need to make extended partitions.

When you have all done, and the correct filesystem-flag on the new partitions, you can Install
the OS you want in the partition(HD) you have prepared for it.

Most Linux distributiosn have a bootloader tool, LILO is most know to me, but you may be familiar with other, configure that show the option to boot in the proper partition of the OS es you have installed.

If you are pretending to Install windows try to install it first, before any other, since he is a selfish bastard who is programed to take over PC, and if you are using a bootloader in the MBR, it will erase all your conf an place it's own without asking.

I don't know if red-hat does such horrible thing, but I think Red-Hat is not so abusive.

READ ALL THE DOCUMENTS of the programs.

You can create seperate partitions for
/home, /tmp/ , /var, /boot, (i.e., not under / ) swap space
and mount the same partitions in various distros.

Becos of the powerful cpu now .
you can use vmware to install any linux version and vendor you want on
on pc .
test than .. and delete them .. any time ..
very flexible .
check vmware keyword on this site..

Br.

partition your hard disk for tow system

GRUP loading two system .

Status
Not open for further replies.