Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 color detector using opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_N

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I want to build a circuit which can detect 2 different colors. I want to use whatever I have in my inventory if possible:)

I was thinking of using a reversed LED as sensor. I want to detect white and black.
I have amplified the voltage from each color.
Black is 2,5V
White is 3V

I was hoping to use LM358 op amps as comparators to have 2 outputs.
The first output is dedicated to white color
and the second output is dedicated to black color.

My problem is that one of the outputs will always be on regardless og the color in front of the sensor.

What I need is the dot function I have with LM3914. How does that work?
LM3914 is just a series of comparators, so no mistery there:)
But how can they make the "dot" function?

Actually I have the LM3914, but it is a bit of a waste I think, when I only need 2 outputs:)

Kind regards
Michael

Black is 2,5V
White is 3V, very interesting, but what is 2.49 V, 2.75V and 3.01 volts. Once you have sorted out exactly what voltages correspond to white and black (which are not colours, but just luminance levels), then you need to build a window detector for each voltage. Which is what the LM 3914 does. It is easier to use the correct chip, but you will still have to fiddle about to get the correct effect.
Frank

But how can they make the "dot" function?

Pin 9 controls whether the 3914 is in dot mode or bar mode. From the datasheet:

"The comparator is designed so that pin 9 can be left open circuit for dot mode."

Actually I have the LM3914, but it is a bit of a waste I think, when I only need 2 outputs:)

You can use a stack of 2 or 3 op amps as window comparators.
One of each set of inputs will go to a multiple resistor divider.

It may or may not be easier than using a 3914.

Thanks for the replies:)
Tomorrow I will try the window detector option. I will let you know about the result.

I know how you activate or deactivate the dot mode on LM3914, But how does it work, internally in the chip?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies:)
Tomorrow I will try the window detector option. I will let you know about the result.

I know how you activate or deactivate the dot mode on LM3914, But how does it work, internally in the chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.