Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,
I am trying to operate a small travelling wave tube amplifier requiring 2.497KV (2.5KV) power supply. I am unaware of the current but the tube is about 30cm long so I suspect this does not draw much current.

I would like any suggestions for such a power supply

I also have a microwave oven power supply, maybe I could use it's transformer-diode-capacitor combination to save cost?

Hi,
How much current needs?
K.

karesz said:
Hi,
How much current needs?
K.

As far as I can see looking from other TWT PSU on the internet, a current of 10-15mA would be enough

Good approatch,
I was thinking something like this
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I would like to see if I can make a cheaper one using a microwave oven transformer. The problem is that since high voltages are involved, I cannot measure them with the multimeter

Hejj OM,
Of course; you can measure it, then you has surly a lot of xxxMOhm, 1% resistors?
All typical resistor has 2-300V (SMD 1206=150V,mosten) working voltage, you can build your home browed HV-Tip...
73 de Karesz

Yes I have seen such voltage probes.

I have found a suitable PSU made from a variac and microwave oven components.

https://www.davekearley.co.uk/TeslaCoil/VTTC The psu.html

This is a voltade doubler configuration so I think I can get 2500V even if the oven transformer is much lower.

To lower the voltage you can adjust the variac (although variacs are a bit tricky to obtain)

I was wondering if there is something I can do to:

1. filter the DC even more

2. obtain a second (lower high voltage) out of it at the same time, say 2100V

HI,
dont forget at voltage multiplyer: their are usual for some higher frequency dimensioned_you need "bigger" capacitors for your 50Hz:-(...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.