Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.4ghz discrete balun design

Status
Not open for further replies.

robismyname

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Im reviewing some of notes on how to design a discrete Balance to Single Ended circuit. I require a BALUN to connect a differential pins (P and N) of the cc2400 to a 50 coaxial patch antenna.

I attached the notes Im using to this post.

What is troubling me is how L (inductor) is calculated. L = [sqrt (Rsource*Rload)]/2pif.

As you can see Rload is 150 and Rsource is 50. I follow how Rsource is obtained but where is 150 coming from for Rload?

115 + j180 is the load impedance according to TI cc2400 spec.

Attachments

• balun design_0001.jpg
    balun design_0001.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 161

Assuming Ri is the input balanced resistance, and RL is output unbalanced resistance, we get Zc (Impedance conversion): Zc = SQRT (Ri x RL)
L and C will be:
L = Zc / (2*Pi*f)
C = 1 / (Zc*2*Pi*f)

An LC balun it will work only at one frequency.

82_1335374704.jpg

Assuming Ri is the input balanced resistance, and RL is output unbalanced resistance, we get Zc (Impedance conversion): Zc = SQRT (Ri x RL)
L and C will be:
L = Zc / (2*Pi*f)
C = 1 / (Zc*2*Pi*f)

An LC balun it will work only at one frequency.

82_1335374704.jpg

So Ri = 50 Ohms and RL = 115 Ohms? Please confirm.

The input impedance of the device is 115+j118. The imaginary part which actually is a inductance is resonated by a parallel capacitor with value 0.4pF. So only a real part of 115ohm will be used to calculate the balun component value.

Status
Not open for further replies.