Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.4 Ghz Signal Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepak.sibi

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

1.What are all the design considerations should I consider when I want to route 2.4 Ghz on a 4 Layer Board keeping the stack up as follows :

4 Layer Stack up :
1.Top
2.Gnd
3.VCC
4.Bottom.

Please reply with your opinions.

2.What is Balance Stackup in PCB Design?

TIA.,

Deepak

My suggestion

1.) Top layer : component placement + gnd
2.) layer 2 : Vcc + gnd
3.) Layer 3 : Signal + gnd
4.) Layer 4 : gnd

rogerynt

rogerynt,
is there a reason why you recommend routing GND in all layers?

deepak.sibi said:
1.What are all the design considerations should I consider when I want to route 2.4 Ghz on a 4 Layer Board keeping the stack up as follows :

4 Layer Stack up :
1.Top
2.Gnd
3.VCC
4.Bottom.

Please reply with your opinions.

2.What is Balance Stackup in PCB Design?

1. Keep your 2.4GHz signals on the outside layers as much as possible. Avoid vias in those traces as much as possible. Put your less critical signals on the opposite side from the components to which they connect, and the critical signals on the same side as the components to which they connect. Ensure that the 2.4GHz traces have an uninterrupted reference plane under them at all times - no splits.

2. Balanced stackup means that if you start in the center of the board, the layers are symmetric top and bottom. The four layer stackup you mentioned is a balanced stack up. The one recommended by 'rogerynt' is not. It also suffers from probably unnecessary splits in the planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back