Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1wire eeprom (DS2431), mega8 and bascom

Status
Not open for further replies.

wing23

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all :)

I'm no engineer but I have to find a solution for my problem.
I tried to study the DS2431 datasheet to no satisfaction, I googled a lot, now I'm here hoping to find someone who could help me out for a min.

The problem shouldn't be too hard IMO, I bet it's something that could be done in less than 5 min.

I'm making a circuit that checks if a lamp is working/alive by measuring the current that its electronic ballast draws.
This part works already (current sense hall element, several opamps, finally fed into the ADC of a mega8).

Now I have to make a runtime hours counter by increasing a value that resembles minutes. After 8000 hrs a LED should light up.
I'm already this far that I use timer1 to increase a value and after 5 minutes (to save eeprom write cycles) I want to write it into a 1wire eeprom, a DS2431

now my 1st question is (and I googled a lot and somehow didn't find anything): if I use the ADC (I need 2 ADC ports), can I connect the 1wire eeprom to an unused ADC port without problems?

the 2nd problem I have is: I want to read and write the runtime counter's value into the eeprom.
I read the datasheet and googled a lot again, but I only found hints to read out ds18b20 temp. sensors.

I use bascom to make the code.
Would it be possible for you to write me 2 routines for reading the eeprom value (as on startup) and for writing it to the eeprom (like every 5 min)?
I only need the code for read and write!

additional info and ideas:
in the code I use these commands already:
config ADC = single (etc)
config timer1 = timer, Prescale = 256 , Compare A = Disconnect , Clear Timer = 1
Enable Compare1a
Enable Interrupts

I write this since I'm not sure what other ports I could use, because interrupts and compare ports are enabled and I also have to connect 4 LEDS and a switch
There's not that much room left for alternatives ...

another idea I had (depending on how easy this could be done): the eeprom should contain a branding string, for example "wing23".
on startup it reads the string at address x and compares.
If it finds "wing23" in the eeprom it continues to read the stored timer value at address y and if the lamps are alight, it starts increasing the just read value and every 5 min it stores it back into the eeprom.
Shouldn't be too hard, I guess D:

Thanks a lot for your help and time
Nik

there's nobody who could give me some hints? D:

Status
Not open for further replies.