Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 1st order Pass-Band Active Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zionico90

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I have an exercise which ask to design a suitable 1st order pass-band active filter in order to satisfy the attached specification. My understanding of the exercise is the following:

- I have to use two 1st order filter in cascade (LP+HP filter) in order to have the 20dc/decade slope
- I assume that f=22 kHz is the -3dB cut-off frequency
- For the design I assume that the 12dB gain is the one specified at fc=22 kHz, so the LP and HP filter have been design to have a gain of 12 dB + 3dB

In annex the picture of the designed circuit and the achieved frequency response. Do you think that am I correct? My understanding is that it is not possible to realize a filter with the specified shape because a certain rounding is not possible to avoid. What do you think?

Thanks!

Filter.pngCircuit.pngSpecification.png

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. First, a band pass filter generally has a bandwidth specified; you seem to be trying to design a filter with zero bandwidth. That doesn't mean it's invalid, just that your specification is a little hazy.

You can't be +9db and +12dB and the same time. That's the law. The -3dB point is at the same point where you're trying to establish maximum gain; you can't have it both ways.

I THINK (and this is only guessing because you didn't post the actual question) you want 12dB of gain in the passband so that at 22kHz you'll be at 9dB, i.e., -3dB down.

You circuit is more of a notch type filter with a slow roll-off rather than a bandpass filter, since you only mention one frequency.

I would designate the filter as first order low-pass/high pass combination. The simulated frequency characteristic is correct, the simplified sharp edge shape isn't. "First order band-pass" usually describes a band-pass with one complex pole pair, not the present circuit with real poles.

I THINK (and this is only guessing because you didn't post the actual question) you want 12dB of gain in the passband so that at 22kHz you'll be at 9dB, i.e., -3dB down.
The graph he posted shows a desired peak gain of 12dB, so he should design for 18dB of DC gain if the -3dB point of both the low-pass and high-pass filter is 22kHz.

Thanks for your answers, i fully agree, the specification is not hazy. I report here the full text of the exercise:

- To Design a First Order Notch filter as in figure, using the minimum number of Op-Amp.

Not to quibble, but that's not a notch filter; it's an inverse notch.

I agree, this doesn't make sense! That's the reason why a supposed to design a band-pass filter :bang:

I don't exactly understand the problem.

The designed high-pass/low-pass combination basically meets the given specification (as good as a first order filter can).

You need to understand that the idealized transfer function with sharp edge can't be realized by a real first order circuit.

Yes, basically my question is if my understanding of the problem is correct and if it is possible to realize something better than what I have already designed.

Thanks

Yes, basically my question is if my understanding of the problem is correct and if it is possible to realize something better than what I have already designed.

Thanks

I think you've met the requirements as best as you can. It's not a real-world problem. A real-world problem would be a little bit better defined. Maybe your professor has never actually designed a filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.