Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1km Water Level Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

garg29

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm designing a water level controller. It has to be designed using conventional method of (probes in water). Actually the distance between the tank and base unit is almost 1 Km . wires have been layed out. I want to know what method should i take to do these level sensings (10 levels) at such a long distance. i mean should i use some special amplifying stage filters etc. One thing more I think a low amplitude ac signal should be transimitted in water to prevent salt formation. what should be the frequency of this signal. Do i need a amplifier in base unit for transmiting a strong signal for this distance range. One last thing i cannot design any unit at the tank end. only one base unit.

Thanks.

With best regards,
garg

It is not really clear to me how you measure method works but the best tranport method over such a long distance is:
1) a current loop (see industrial systems 4-20mA) In this way you can also supply a small device (<4mA) to convert the meassured level.
2) symetric data bus like RS485 /422. Convert the level to a digital serial signal.

You will have a lot of losses and noise over this distance, so an AC (amplitude)signal to measure is a little tricky. Although changing the frequency by the level is maybe an option. (100Hz level1, 150Hz level2 etc)

A.C lines travels a long distance. You can sense the probe to the system using A.C supply. While sensing the probe in the system you can use a D.C conversion, i.e., you can use a diode in the system to monitor the probe signal.

I would suggest you put some small controller near the probes and communicate through the long wires with RS485 (up to 1.5km guaranteed). In total you'll need 4 wires (+, -, DATA_OUT+, DATA_OUT-). Sending the analog signals on 1km sounds insane

Status
Not open for further replies.