Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

18F46K20 Input voltage & ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

deperkin

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am thinking about using an 18F46k20 microchip.
This is a low voltage pic, and it does mention that the voltage on any pin is to be
-0.3V to (VDD + 0.3V). I would plan on using a 3.3V power supply for this application.
I also have a MPXV7002GP pressure sensor I would like to use.
The output voltage on this is from 0.5 to 4.5V, which seems to be to be a problem with this PIC.

I admit I have not completely read through the datasheet for the PIC yet however.

I also have not been able to find an alternate pressure sensor.

I would imagine this is a common question for this PIC, although nothing I saw in searches suggested this.... What is the best way to use sensors, ADC or TTL that have 5V outputs? I need to be accurate on the pressure sensor and do not see using a resistor in this case the correct way to approch it...

Hi,

Using a voltage divider is not a bad approach...
You can use 1% resistors to "scale down" the output voltage of the pressure sensor.

Regards.

This is a low voltage pic, and it does mention that the voltage on any pin is to be
-0.3V to (VDD + 0.3V). I would plan on using a 3.3V power supply for this application.
I also have a MPXV7002GP pressure sensor I would like to use.
The output voltage on this is from 0.5 to 4.5V, which seems to be to be a problem with this PIC.

I would double check the datasheet to make sure that you are doing an apple-to-apple comparison here. most of the mcus today have 5v-compliant io pins - they are clamped.

I admit I have not completely read through the datasheet for the PIC yet however.

that would be your first order of business.

I would imagine this is a common question for this PIC, although nothing I saw in searches suggested this.... What is the best way to use sensors, ADC or TTL that have 5V outputs? I need to be accurate on the pressure sensor and do not see using a resistor in this case the correct way to approch it...

many possible approaches. you can for example ignore it if you don't need to measure full range; you can step it down via a resistor divider - though you need to be careful about the output impedance of such a network. you can use a 5v adc, you can buffer it with an opamp and scale the input signal down to 3.3v, etc.

each solution will depend on many factors that you did not outline.

Status
Not open for further replies.