Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

18F2550 programming error

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon9

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm using a PIC programmer that I bought on ebay. It was advertised as K150 programmer but I realized that it's a clone. Listed as here: **broken link removed**

Anyway, I'm using PICPRO software and I can successfully program 12F675 and 16F84A. However, when I try to program or erase 18F2550 it gives errors saying that it didn't erase or program successfully but it can read 18F2550 without error. I tried to increase program delay time in chipinfo.cid file but still no success for 18F2550. Could you please help me about this?

Regards,

Maybe there is no help maybe you just make best buy in meaning music for all money, and music play short.

You should buy PICKIT2 or PICKIT3, even you can make PICKIT2 Clone for about under 10eur.

Solution for PIC18F2550 in this situation (if needed to work with 18F2550) :
You can make easy to build lpt programmer FD-ART2003

Last edited:

Thanks but the specific problem I reported in this post was about this K150 programmer and 18F2550. Of course there are dozens of programmers in the market including those you said. Do you have any suggestion about PICPRO software such as the fuse settings etc...?

Thanks but the specific problem I reported in this post was about this K150 programmer and 18F2550. Of course there are dozens of programmers in the market including those you said. Do you have any suggestion about PICPRO software such as the fuse settings etc...?

Hi,

What is the actual error message when you program the 2550 ?

Not familiar with that board or Software, but you need to show us what fuse / config settings you are using.

Are you writing them in your Code as Config Settings or via the Fuses section of the programmer software.

Are you perhaps using someone elses .hex file where you do not know what they are or if its in the code ?

One setting thats often used incorrectly is the LVP low voltage programing - this should be turned off.

Assume you are using a good quality USB cable thats not too long, around 1 meter.
Are you using a laptop or desktop ? the USB voltage from a laptop can sometimes be too low for a programmer.

Thanks for your helpful answers.

@wp100: I attached the screenshots of the configuration settings and the message I get after I erase and blank check the 2550.

I didn't write the code, I just used the USB data reading example of Mikroelektronika. The configuration settings are written into the hex file as much as I know. On the other hand, apart from writing a specific hex file into the chip, I cannot just even erase the chip as you can see from the attachment.

The low voltage programming is turned off.

I use a USB cable which is 80cm long.

I am using a laptop! Maybe this is a problem as you said. I'll try on a PC asap.

Attachments

• conf.png
    conf.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 92
  • res.png
    res.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 84

Hi,

If you go to this page and download the program code PICKIT2 Firmware v2.32, that has everything in the code,so you should just Load it into your PicPro and program it.**broken link removed**

Yes, do try the desktop, sometimes the voltage from a laptop can be just that bit too low for some chips to program properly, they say using a powered usb hub is the way solve it, if no desktop around.

Thanks wp100, I'll try the desktop and will note here.

Status
Not open for further replies.