Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

-------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce3390

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
----------------------------------

Re: Driver for MOSFET

jayce3390 said:
Hello,

I am a novice in analog.
Could you tell me if the component EL7457 from intersil is able to drive the IRF7380 from International Rectifier?

I give datasheets in attached files.

It depends on the switching frequency and rise/fall time requirements which depend on the MOSFET to be driven. In this case EL7457 can drive your IRF7380's happily.

jayce3390

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Driver for MOSFET

If I simply say yes (it's correct without doubt), what's the next question?

jayce3390

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
--------------------------------

--------------------------

jayce3390 said:
Even if there is 70 Volts on the MOSFET drain?

It will work in theory but 70 Volts on a 80 Volt MOSFET is not good for reliability reasons. When you are switching high currents with a fast gate-drive then the MOSFET inductances will cause high voltage spikes and may damage them.

You should consider going through one of the many application notes for MOSFET gate drivers.

When you are switching high currents with a fast gate-drive then the MOSFET inductances will cause high voltage spikes and may damage them.
A modern FET as IRF7380 with integrated zener clamp shouldn't be damaged by voltage spikes.
But depending on the spike energy (respectively leakage inductance level), excessive loses may be observed.

FvM said:
When you are switching high currents with a fast gate-drive then the MOSFET inductances will cause high voltage spikes and may damage them.
A modern FET as IRF7380 with integrated zener clamp shouldn't be damaged by voltage spikes.
But depending on the spike energy (respectively leakage inductance level), excessive loses may be observed.

Thank you for the note. I didn't notice the built-in zener diode clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back