Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120v zero cross detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myren

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
zero cross detector

i need some way to let my microcontroller know when a zero cross occurs, otherwise i cant keep phase with my little light dimming project.

i saw plans for using a 4n25 (the most primitive of optocouplers: merely a transistor pretty much), but i havent had much luck actually making it go. it pretty much just hooks the LED input up to the AC line then uses a pullup resistor off 5v on the other side to detect.

it triggers alright, but at ~60 khz, which just aint right.

been looking at some solutions: HCPL-3700 seems the best so far for its simplicity, and i /think/ it'll do what i want it to. the On semiconductor ca3059 and intersil fn490 both seem designed for what i want to do, plus a whole helluva ton more... major overkill. i'm afraid to even go check prices on them.

Myren

zero cross

You need only ~1Mohm resistor from phase to pic.
see PICDIM Lamp Dimmer for the PIC12C508 from Microchip (PICREF-4)

zero cross detector optocoupler

Yeah, I was thinking about that. After much deliberation, I decided I definately need some sort of optocoupler in there though, I'm just not willing to place such a hazardous source anywhere near my micros. A pity, considering how convenient it would be.

You'd need to common ground your AC and digital too then, I'd presume? No floating voltages...

Thanks
Myren

zero crossing detector optocoupler

This design has a simple ZC detector, based on an optocoupler.
**broken link removed**

It's not my design, but it looks okay to me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back