Not open for further replies.

Mr_Rohrich

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I am currently designing a inverter from 12-15Vdc to 230Vac aprox. 80Watts.

I want to us a dc-dc boost converter to boost the input dc to 325Vdc. Then I want to use a microcontroller to make a PWM to make a modified sine @ 230vac 50Hz.
Can anyone give me a help on which boost converter i should use? Are the parts in the market that can do that? Like PI's TNY series?

You can do it other way. Microcontroller, 2 MOSFETs, 2x12V to 230V transformer, some "salt & peper", I mean a voltage regulator for 5V uC supply, some resistors and capacitors.

No need for 325 VDC.

Hi Zasto,

thanks for your quick reply.
I know what you mean. I have build one for 25VA the way you mentioned.
For 25VA it is already a big transformer!!!! And for 80Watts its gonna be a whopper :lol:
Im going for lightweight.....
Do you have experience with a HF version?

Im going for lightweight.....
I know what you mean. But it's a more complex design than a basic 50 Hz transformer inverter. The boost converter must use a high frequency (ferrite) transformer to achieve reasonable efficiency. There are few off the shelf 12 to 300 V DC converters, I fear. Powerint chips are for off-mains SMPS, not boost converter.

There are however many previous Edaboard threads related to sine wave converters, also many about transformerless circuits. E.g.:
Corrected https://www.edaboard.com/threads/154618/

Last edited:

I know PI is for SMPS 85 to 230 Volt mains to low voltage dc. I know i build these in the past.
The thread you mentioned is not found?
Can you give the link again?

@FvM: thx for correcting.
I have been reading this thread.... thx for pointing it out.

Im going to boost the 12-15 via a hf-transformer to 325V. I have contacts that can build them for me if I gave him the windings, amps, etc. Im thinking about aprox. 40kHz for the switching frequency.
This voltage is then fed to H-Bridge which is driven by a microcontroller to create a 50Hz sinewave. Can the load be attached between the bridge? For example a lightbulb? Ofcourse some filtering is neccesary to get the hf components out.

Am I thinking in the right direction?

Last edited:

Am I thinking in the right direction?
Yes, there are many similar schematics in previous Edaboard threads.

Of course you don't need a sine wave to supply a light bulb. If you only need Vpeak and Vrms according to a sine, a modified square wave inverter is a more simple alternative.

Mmmmmmmmmmm maybe a lightbulb was a poor example. :-(
I will draw up some schematics and let the board take a look at it. I hope some good suggestions are made... :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…